I have seen and read many book critiques on the many blogs I visit. I told myself that I would never be able to do that--I just don't feel that my critiques wouldn't be worth much, and I also have this fear that I would say something that someone else totally thought was stupid (I shouldn't care--I guess I should work on that). I don't read a lot anymore--not because I don't want to, but I get sucked in so deeply that pretty much everything gets neglected (that is housework, kids, sleep etc. . .) until I'm finished. I guess that just shows my lack of self-control in this regard. So when I do find a good read I basically have to get it read quickly then move on with life. Therefore, reading is a bit sporadic and usually only when someone highly recommends something. Stacy , my sister-in-law, on the other hand always has something she is reading (and tends to still find balance in her life) and I fear that she could be my demise. She keeps recommending books for me to read :) No--it is a good thing.
All that said here is a bit about two books I recently read--I will leave you to your own critiquing.
I really enjoyed The Peacegiver by James L. Ferrell. It is a fictional story with doctrinal principles woven into the story line. The other religious books I have read were mostly historical fiction like Work and the Glory and such. In this book, though it was in story form, the story took a backseat to the doctrines taught. It offered insights into the Atonement and forgiveness that I have never before considered. I is a book that I want to buy and read again.
I'm anxious to read his next book The Holy Secret.
My other read was Maisie Dobbs the first in the series of five (so far). While supposedly a mystery, the first book is really a get-to-know-Maisie book with a bit of undercover work in the process. I love mysteries, but this really didn't appeal to me as a mystery. I did, however, enjoy the book outside of that realm. I am excited to read the second book and see what exactly Maisie can do now that I know how she came to be.
Happy reading to all--please feel free to recommend any good reads you have come across--I need all the practice I can get in balance and self-control. Maybe I will learn that a good book can be better if I enjoy it a bit longer instead of having to finish it yesterday :)
Tuesday, April 8, 2008
In My Opinion
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I know what you mean about being absorbed into a book and all else getting set aside. I am pretty bad with that. Sometimes I manage to read a book and be a normal person too, but if the book is REALLY good - I can't stop. I swear what you were saying was coming out of my own mouth. Oh yeah, I found your page off of Cassie's - I hope you don't mind.
hey smyths! glad to find your blog. i can't believe how big your kids are!! parker looks like such a little man.
Marci - Thanks for the book recommendations. I just started a book club in my ward and having never even been to one before I am a little unsure about it all. I am also not really sure I want to participate since I am exactly like you and books take over everything else when I am reading them and so I try not to start. I have such a hard time with balance in my life. Your blog is so cute
Post a Comment