Sunday, October 5, 2008

What I Learned

During Saturday afternoon session of conference, Elder Wirthlin talked a bit about about laughing in the midst of anger. Little did I know I would have a chance to apply the principle so quickly.

I walked into the kids' bedroom and Parker was underneath Brenna's crib. I didn't think much of it until he came out holding a handful of little 'o' shaped links. I immediately realized that he had been dismanteling the springs that run underneath her mattress and keep it raised. I was sure he had destroyed it and I was pretty angry. I raised my voice and scolded a bit and demanded the links.
It was dinner time so I sent everyone to the table. As I was putting the food down I said to everyone, "Elder Wirthlin says that I should laugh at times like this." "HA HA HA HA" I mocked laughed. The kids thought that was hialrious and kept telling me to do it again.
Guess what, even thought it was fake laughter, it worked--the mood was lightened and the anger disappated somewhat. I'm grateful for the advice of our leaders. I guess the purpose of this post and the moral of the story is that no matter what little tidbit you learned from General Conference follow it and practice it--it will work--even if you have to fake it the first time :)
p.s. We were able to fix the crib easially. Here is a picture of Parkers handiwork.

The Dismanteling ____________________________Our Easy Fix
Brenna will rest easier tonight as her mattress will have it's support back.
(I did remove most the junk from under her bed before taking the photos--I was just too lazy to get every last thing)

11 comments:

andrea said...

Thanks for sharing, Marci. And way to go!

I've also been telling myself, "I'm going to miss these messes someday." over and over from Pres. Monson's talk. It's helping...a little.

Tannie Datwyler said...

Okay, so THAT is hilarious. I can't believe the things kids come up with to do. :)

Laisa said...

Hey, that was my favorite talk.....I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't laugh at things......what a cute story. Maybe Parker is getting to that age where he wants to take things apart & then put them back together again? (ha ha). I'd like to hear that mocking laugh some day (ha ha).

Lise said...

I really enjoyed Elder Wirthin's talk also. I should have taken better notes, I'll have to dissect the ensign when it comes. Kudos to you for putting it in to practice. That is honestly one of the hardest things for me to do. You know laugh when you want to scream.

Handsfullmom said...

I'm going to have to try that fake laughter trick -- sounds hilarious!

Merinda said...

wow, sounds like it truly runs in the family. I remember when Clark was about that age and he would take "EVERYTHING" apart. Oh well, he lived through it, Parker will too, if you let him.

Weston & Jennie said...

Good for you! I didn't get a chance to watch conference, but my good mom taped it for me. It sounds like I missed a lot. I better get watching.

Lindsay Ruiz said...

I liked that talk too. It was definately a standout for me. I should try laughing more. Yesterday, Sophia dumped my 500 something page spanish notebook down the stairs. I didn't laugh, but at least I didn't lose it either. Baby steps. I love your family pics by the way.

carrie said...

you are good people. i miss you. Ü

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

Wow, you mean those prophets and apostles actually know what they are talking about?!! It's amazing what happens when we follow their counsel. You're a great example.

Mel and Nate said...

That was my favorite talk by far! I loved it! You have always had the best attitude! I cannot believe how growup your little ones are getting! They are perfect!