(Last Week)
It was mid-morning Saturday when we heard the news--the van is in desperate need of a major repair and will not be back in service until Tuesday.
So in honor of our beloved backup car I share with you events that leave me grateful for my van.
Today I made a much needed trip to the bank. The only thing I ever go to the bank for these days is quarters--for laundry. (Pause for daydream about a brand new front loading washer with matching dryer.) So with Parker and Brenna loaded somewhat haphazardly into the small backseat we set off in the Cressida.
This was probably not the best idea as the driver side window doesn't roll down, but I figured I could manage--I've done fast food in like manner before (not with out embarassment though). If only I had any idea. . .We pulled up to the bank drive-through just a bit past the little drawer that comes out. It is important to remember this detail because you will never be able to access the drawer through the rear window if you haven't aligned the car just so.
This was probably not the best idea as the driver side window doesn't roll down, but I figured I could manage--I've done fast food in like manner before (not with out embarassment though). If only I had any idea. . .We pulled up to the bank drive-through just a bit past the little drawer that comes out. It is important to remember this detail because you will never be able to access the drawer through the rear window if you haven't aligned the car just so.
I proceded to recline the seat as far as it goes, right onto Brenna's foot (whoops)--with some quick adjustments we were all set to retrive the quarters. I was stretching and turning around backward to grab the quarters. Half-way between the drawer and the car, "thump" and "clink, clink, clink." Two rolls of quarters slipped out of my fingers and landed on the pavement below. Paper-rolled quarters meet pavement--not a pretty sight. I can't just throw the car in park and jump out to collect the coinage--I have to shift into 1st and turn off the car. The e-brake doesn't work so I can't just jump out in neutral. So I get out and collect the silver nuggets shoving them into my pockets as quickly as I can while trying to make light comments to the teller who I'm sure was dying inside but, was very kind pointing out that at least I wasn't getting rained on. Then I jump back into the car and shut the door. "Clunk!" Driver window falls half-way down into a precarious position. Perfect finishing touch. Bring seat back into upright position, scoot it forward, restart car, pass out suckers, check rearview--no audience--thank goodness.
10 comments:
Ah, additional sigh for a washer and dryer of my own. I feel your pain. Quarters are gold! And yes, what a change that would be to not see the old car parked in front of the van.
As a personal sales pitch-we are selling our car if you are looking at all:)
Thanks for making me laugh today! You got me with the "silver nuggets" line. Your photos are priceless!
Oh man, I was laughing so hard. That was so funny. I am glad not to have to do the laundromat anymore, but I am still dreaming of the frontloading matching pair. I always got my quarters at Macey's when I was shopping. I don't think I ever went to the bank. I can't believe that car still works, and I thought ours was old.
That's a great one!
wow, so many things that go on in your life are just golden to me because it seems like the same things happened to me. As like you, the image of bags full of quarters lyeing around doesn't seem like an all so distant past and yes, the day you get your own washer and dryer is awesome. We have 3 personal vehicles right now. Impossible to understand is that on the suburban, the lexus, and the grand prix, the drivers side, or the passenger rear windows don't work. We have played the impossible game of getting prescriptions, checks cashed or the what-not either by backing up the chair or just pulling a bit forward and opening the door.
Getting all the windows fixed on all three cars, $700 per window. Getting your first good washer and dryer (front loading of course) $2200.
Having all the memories from those experiences, priceless.
That is such a funny story!! Good memories, I'm sure, but I can imagine it wasn't all that funny at the time!!
sounds like a FUN day!!! I remember you and I taking that for a spin a couple of times!! oh the good old days!
That's a great story Marci! You're such a trooper (just like the cressida:-)
This is fabulous. What a classic experience.
Thanks so much for the laugh at your expense. I'm sure that it was quite the day of many, but please know that we all have them, just in different fashions. Dragging the kids along makes them all the more priceless I must admit. Cheers!!
Post a Comment